In addition to course and GPA requirements, there are a number of Iowa State University English placement requirements that international Certificate students must fulfill.
TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language)
The TOEFL is a measure of a person’s understanding of English. If you have a degree from an English speaking institution, the TOEFL requirement may be waived.
If you do not have a degree from an English speaking institution, requirements are as follows:
- Graduate Certificate in Agronomy students must have a TOEFL score of 79. The test must have been taken within 2 years of applying to ISU.
- If you do not have a TOEFL score, the test can be taken online: http://www.ets.org/toefl/ibt/about/
The TOEFL score determines the path students take to satisfy ISU English requirements.
- Score of 79: is the minimum score required for admission.
- Score of 79-104: after admission, students will be required to take a written English Placement Test (EPT), see below.
- Score of 105 or higher: EPT is not necessary, all ISU English requirements are met.
English Placement Test
This test measures the ability of students to communicate using the English language. This is a pass/fail test and there is an option to take it online. If a student passes the EPT, all ISU English requirements are met.
Graduate English Course
If a student does not pass the EPT, a graduate English class will be required (ENGL 101D: English for Native Speakers of Other Languages, Academic English II, Graduates). A student will not be allowed to register for subsequent semesters of courses until the English course is completed. This course is pass/not pass. When a student passes this class, all ISU English requirements are met.